The Tournament History
In 1973, the City of Palms tournament began, like so many tournaments today, as a simple, local, holiday basketball tournament. Over the years, the tournament grew and expanded scope to include the nation’s finest athletes and teams, and over the past 25 years, has set the standard by which all tournaments are compared.
The City of Palms Classic, now in its 46th year, is the premier Boys’ High School Basketball Tournament in America!
- More than 530 players have advanced to NCAA Division I competition
- 140players have advanced to play professionally in the National Basketball Association, including:
- 2009-10 NBA Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans
- 2010 NBA 1st Overall Pick John Wall
- Cleveland Cavaliers Center Kevin Love
- Ben Simmons 1st round draft pick in 2017
- Deandre Ayton 1st round pick in 2018
- 155 players have played in the prestigious McDonald’s All-American Game at the end of their senior seasons, including 9 in 2018
- The 2008 tournament was labeled: “The best field in the history of high school basketball” by national recruiting guru Clark Francis of HoopScoop Magazine.
- Hundreds of coaches and scouts at every level use this venue for recruiting. Here are some of the top NCAA Division I coaches that have attended past tournaments.
- Roy Williams
- Mike Krzyzewski
- John Calipari
- Many other top NBA celebrities have attended past tournaments including:
- Larry Bird – NBA Hall of Fame Member
- Billy Donovan -Head Coach of Oklahoma City Thunder
- Doc Rivers – Head Coach of the L.A. Clippers
- Donnie Walsh – Consultant for Basketball Operations of the Indiana Pacers